Careers at Sterling – Senior PHP Developer
Senior PHP Developer
We are committed to continuous improvement and expansion of our existing online product range. You will be expected to play a key part in growing the development team and supporting our current systems to help maintain our immediate deadlines.
You should have a passion for technology, user experience and programming. You will thrive on problem solving; be aware of the evolving technology landscape and be passionate about inspiring others including being able to effectively translate your technical vocabulary to the uninitiated.
Hours of work: Monday to Friday: 8:45am – 5:30pm
Based at: Head Office, Sterling House, Kettering, Northamptonshire.
Reports to: Product Owner
Requirements for the role:
- Plan and implement system/project structures and mechanics.
- Support the Product Owner in building a strong in-house development team to continually improve our responsive and mobile friendly interfaces.
- Develop code both from scratch and by adapting existing platforms to meet our business needs.
- Liaise with the rest of our stakeholders to gain an understanding of the business needs and play a proactive role in producing products that are user friendly; effective and graphically appealing. Work closely with team members to develop detailed specification documents with clear project deliverables and timelines ensuring timely completion.
- Determine the appropriate architecture, and other technical solutions, and make relevant recommendations.
- Communicate specifications to the stakeholders with efficiency and accuracy including progress and/or possible delays.
- Develop innovative tools to compliment websites and mobile applications.
- Keep abreast of developing technologies in relevant areas and use them when they fit.
- Help recruit, manage and motivate a team of developers.
- Write well structured, clean and efficient code.
- Design smart ways of storing complex data.
- Ensure all work is properly tested and secure.
- Maintain and improve existing systems.
- Testing and deploying software.
- Create and maintain technical documentation.
What kind or work experience, training and/or level of education is necessary for this position?
- Front and Backend experience.
- Ability to write nothing less than clean and readable code.
- Excellent time-management; multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate at all levels.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Logical thinker with the ability to think creatively ability to use initiative.
- Meticulous, with an eye for detail.
- Reliable, possessing a sense of responsibility and self-reliance.
- Be a team player with the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and be just as happy working alone.
- Ability to work in an agile and rapidly changing environment.
- Delivery proof-of-concepts.
- Version control (Git).
- Knowledge of relational and non-relational databases and when to use them.
What other special training, attributes and/or abilities are necessary for this position?
- Dynamic and ambitious person with a professional attitude, looking for a challenge and to make a positive difference.
- Confident and assertive.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated to seek out new opportunities for personal and organisational development.
- Able to express ideas and impart key messages clearly, confidently and effectively through both written and oral communications to a variety of audiences.
- Able to learn new skills and information quickly and confidently.
- Excellent organisational, planning and administrative abilities.
- Highly analytical with the ability to deal with complex and detailed data.
- Able to prioritise tasks, manage time effectively and work under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail with a commitment to high quality, accuracy and working within strict deadlines.
- Determination to solve problems and see jobs through to completion.
- Able to take instruction well and work with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to recommend changes and improvements.
Ready to apply?
Please send us your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com with PHP Developer in the subject line.